Monday, November 21, 2011

Spencer versus Dick's

About three weeks ago, Spencer asked me what was my favorite kind of cake. He wanted a specific answer. So after thinking about it, I told him Burnt Almond Cake. He tells me now he asked me three times to makes sure that was the same answer. I do not remember that. He had never heard of a Burnt Almond Cake so I explained it was from Dick's Bakery in San Jose. He went to the Internet and did his own research a found a recipe for that very cake!


He didn't tell me what he was doing but gave me a list of ingredients including 8 cups of Cool Whip or Pastry Pride (that is 4 large tubs), Torani Vanilla Syrup and 2 cups of slivered almonds. It was a challenge finding the syrup. I didn't know it was Italian soda syrup--I was looking in the organic vanilla section of the grocery store. After some help from his dad, he tracked that down.

Spence and Karl spent two hours in the kitchen Saturday morning working on it, while I was not allowed in. It turned out amazing looking!

And it tastes good too!

4 comments:

Val said...

YUM!! Let's make it again when I come!

Kathy said...

That looks delicious!!
Kathy

Pam said...

Way to go Spencer! That cake looks awesome! What a nice surprise for your mom.

Michael and Naomi Merrill said...

Spence should try to make Baked Alaska!