Where I’m from
I am from mechanical pencils and bobby pins,
From library books stacked neatly near the bed.
I am from a well-loved teddy bear,
And tropical beach scenes,
With a backdrop the color of life.
I am from John Denver and Les Miserables,
And an ’87 Toyota Corolla parked in the driveway.
I am from quilts and flower beds,
Oatmeal chocolate-chip cookies and homegrown pumpkins.
I am from imaginary worlds created by my sister.
From Rosie, Charletta, and Elizabeth Wakefield.
I am from Barbies and American Girl,
Barney, Full House, Arthur, and Oprah Winfrey.
I am from walks to the mailbox and runs from unfriendly dogs.
I’m from Titlow, Puget, and Jerisich.
From games of tag at the bus stop
And capture the flag on warm summer nights.
I’m from “are you Lauren’s sister?”
And from baseball, cub scouts, and Harry Potter.
From family reunions crowded with little boys,
And Sunday night dinners at “Granpa and Granma’s.”
I am from an organized, nurturing mother,
And a gentle, ever-optimistic father.
I am from literature and politics,
A love of art and a love of traveling.
I am from sutfa, wheat bread, and Monday night stir-fries.
Basketball and Phase 10.
I am from Nephi, Ammon, and Joseph Smith,
And “families can be together forever.”
No comments:
Post a Comment